It’s officially back-to-school season, which means leaving home for the first time for many students. While moving trucks are circling the parking lots like organized chaos, these student residents are eager to start unpacking and styling their new home. With so much inspiration readily available on social media, this next class of student renters is taking their space to the next level!
And we completely understand why. A new place or bedroom should feel elevated, organized, yet comfortable–a home away from home. It also needs to be functional for late night study sessions or friend hangs! Our friends in the Southern States have really made dorm decor trendy by using social media platforms, such as TikTok to showcase room transformations. Who knew how satisfying it would be to see a blank dorm space turned into a student residence dream?! Users like @dorm_decor are showing what refined campus living looks like with simple decor pieces that make transformational differences. As well as #BamaRush season where sororities were taking over the platform to show the hype of rush and their stylish new bedrooms.
What it all can be skimmed down to, is your room should be stylish, trendy, and Instagramable!
Southern charm is in full effect at Ole Miss – and simplicity has no place in any of the dorm rooms that are trending. Bigger is better – starting with beds, that somehow make these tiny spaces feel like the space is larger than life (along with the decor).
- Bed raisers–because the extra height makes the room feel bigger
- Designer statement art
- Animal print–yes cheetah print is still relevant
- Monograms–is it really the South without it?
- Lounge chair
University of Alabama
In Alabama, luxury is trending stronger than #rolltide. Designer is everywhere – including the details. The faux fur on the floors feels cozy enough to curl up and nap, while the neon on the walls keeps you wanting to stay up all night – and it all somehow comes together in a luscious harmony that screams Chanel #5.
- Ghost chairs–not something you’d find at Halloween, but these see through chairs give any space an elevated look
- Faux fur rugs
- Name wall art
- Cube poufs–sit on them, use them to hold books, assist with getting into that elevated bed; the possibilities are endless
- Designer boxes
Louisiana State University
With a more understated feel than her sister states, Louisiana still brings it with organization, purpose, and a statement to be made. And who could be surprised at a school known for tailgates that highlight self-made LSU apparel?
- Fridge cabinet–ya know for like water bottles and yogurt
- Throw pillows
- Spray paint wall art–gives your space that authentic French Quarter feeling
- Statement lamps
- Neon signage–these have been crazy trendy the past year, so any dorm with one has instantly upped their game
Duke keeps to their roots with a studious look, while still ensuring that they remind everyone that they will NOT pass up on a well-designed dorm. Because why would they? They might be there to study – but shouldn’t their environment properly show it too? We know Duke, we know.
- Coffee table and books
- “Tiny” couch (futon)–curl up for a lazy weekend or when you need to put in the extra hours to cram study
- Vanity mirror lights
- Textured rugs–no further expliantation needed, we believe every space can benefit from a rug
These dorm decor trends transfer to off-campus student housing because you can carry these same decor pieces into apartment living. This is why we’ve perfected the art of original staging in all of our 3D renderings and real estate videos. Our Project Managers work closely with our partners to ensure our visualizations will spark emotion in the modern student renter using relevant styling pieces. We’re sharing some of our favorite apartment decor to get your future residents excited about living in your new community.
Our go-to authentic decor staging pieces include:
- Plants: because air purification is important and a little pop of green goes a long way!
- Accent Pillows: whether on a bed or comfy couch, you can never have too many pillows. We also love to mix and match patterns and textures
- Wall Art: so many options to choose from–bold prints, modern illustrations, simplistic metalwork–you really can’t go wrong here
- Lamps: warm lighting is key to cranking through those late-night study sessions
Other trending items we’re noticing:
- Espresso bar set-ups: coffee makes the world go round, and how convenient when you can make yourself a nice latte without leaving
- Oversized mirrors: hang them, plop them on the floor, or get one with a fancy stand–this is a must-have for making social media videos
Next time you’re looking to take your new housing student development leasing renderings to the next level, shoot us a message. We’d happily provide authentic decor staging in your 3D perspectives and virtual tours!